The Hepburn Library of Lisbon receives many requests to display materials and post advertisements or brochures in the Library. Because display space is limited, the Library encourages the submission of materials which promote educational, cultural, civic, and community related activities only. Library functions and materials will have first priority.
NO items shall be placed in the Library building for display or distribution without the express permission of the Director, who will also decide the location of each accepted display.
This policy will be in support of the American Library Association Bill of Rights which states:
- “Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.” (Article I)
- “Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.” (Article II)
- “Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” (Article VI)
The following conditions apply to all displays, exhibits, advertisements, brochures or other informational material:
- Library information and sponsored displays are given priority in allocating display space.
- Flyers, advertisements, and brochures may be displayed for no longer than 90 days, and must be removed by the person making the request within two business days after the event or 90-day period, whichever comes first.
- Flyers, advertisements, and brochures left on display longer than the approved period will be removed by library staff and discarded.
- Items other than flyers, advertisements, and brochures should be removed at the agreed upon time, or they will be considered to have become library property and may be discarded by library staff without further notice.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the preservation, protection, damage or theft of any item displayed or exhibited. All items displayed are done so at the owner’s risk.
- All items shall be submitted ready for exhibit. The library will not furnish any supplies for construction or display.
- Each item or display must provide contact information.
- The Director reserves the right to reject outright any display or item which is illegal, which may interfere with the normal operation of the library, or which does not comply with the general rules above. In all instances the Library administration reserves the right to refuse any item for display it considers in bad taste and/or of doubtful value.
Those who object to the content may request a reconsideration, similar to challenging any library resource. Library staff will not censor or remove materials from exhibits, displays, or areas designated for the distribution of information because someone may disagree with the content or with the identity, beliefs, or affiliations of the sponsors, without proper review under the Reconsideration Policy.
The utilization of exhibit space by any group or individual shall not imply endorsement or approval by the library.