- The community room is available to individuals or organized groups on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use, for the purpose of educational, civic, charitable, and social events. The granting of permission for use of the community room does not constitute endorsement by the Hepburn Library of Lisbon’s Board of Trustees or Staff.
- Library programming takes priority over all other events.
- Persons Patrons reserving the community room must age twenty-one or older, provide photo identification, and be in good standing with all libraries in the North Country Library System. All fines and charges must be paid in full, in cash, prior to reserving the community room. A library card is not required, but patron records will be reviewed to ensure all household members are in good standing.
- Requests for use of the community room are made directly to the Library Director. Approval is at the discretion of the Library Director.
- All requests, signing of contract, and rendering of payment must be done during normal operating hours of the Library.
- Community Room Rental Fees:
- All fees must be paid at the time of application. The library does not accept credit or debit cards. All reservation requests are granted on a “first pay” basis and not finalized until the contract is signed and payment is rendered.
- Single occasion events – $50.00 per four-hour event.
- Tables and chairs only – $50.00 per day. Rental period for tables and chairs only (no building rental included) is from 9 am to 8 pm. Consecutive day rentals may be made at an additional $50.00 per day if scheduling permits (ie: Saturday and Sunday).
- Arrangements to decorate/set up the community room “the day before”, to pick up tables/chairs “the day before”, or return tables/chairs “the day after” are made solely at the discretion of the Library Director and only once it is determined that no other programs, services, or users are impacted by the rental period. Final determination will not be made until the week prior to the rental.
- All other events – contact the Library Director for rates.
- While COVID-19 restrictions are in place in the State of New York, St. Lawrence County, or the Town of Lisbon, community room users are expected to abide by all mandates AND recommendations. This may include properly-fitting masks that cover both the mouth and nose, social distancing, capacity limits, food handling, sanitation, contact tracing, or restrictions on vaccination or negative COVID testing. The Hepburn Library of Lisbon will not be responsible for contact tracing, vaccination status, or COVID testing; renters are solely responsible for the collection of personal data from event attendees if such requirements are mandated by NYS. Renters are responsible for confirming state recommendations and mandates at the time of reservation and just prior to the event.
- Refreshments may be provided and served by the group. No alcoholic beverages are allowed on premises.
- No smoking, vaping, or consumption of marijuana or similar products is allowed in the building, on the grounds, in parked vehicles, or within 100 feet of any library door. This is regulated by New York State Law Public Health Law §1399-o, subdivision 6. The closest public smoking areas to the library are (1) directly across from the front entrance on the far shoulder of County Route 10, or (2) directly behind the library parking area on Church Street. Please note that there is no smoking on any Town of Lisbon property, which includes the Town Highway Department parking area.
- No animals other than service animals (on a leash or securily caged) are allowed in the building without advance permission by the Library Director.
- No persons under the age of twenty-one shall not be allowed in the library, unattended, without an adult age twenty-one or older.
- No open flames are allowed on the premises with the exception of small birthday-style candles and sterno cans used to maintain food temperature. Fireplaces are not functional and are not to be used.
- The noise level should be maintained such that library patrons are not disturbed.
- There is to be no decorating done near the lift, and no tables or other items set-up near the lift door or operating system. A clear pathway of at least 48 inches must be maintained from the entrance door to the lift. When the community room is to be used outside of Library operating hours, users shall make no attempt to enter the upstairs portion of the Library, storage rooms, or to operate the lift.
- In case of fire or other emergencies, all building occupants should be notified immediately to allow for evacuation of the building before calling 911 to report the emergency; the address of the building is 6899 County Route 10. After hours and/or weekends, renters should evacuate the building, call 911, and then notify library staff as indicated below.
- If there are any other problems or concerns, contact Michelle McLagan, Library Director, at (see written contract) (text first, if no response, call).
- In the event of inclement weather, the Library may be open/closed at the discretion of the Library Director. Library closures (Monday through Friday) are posted on the Library’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LisbonHepburnLibrary. In the event of inclement weather on weekends or holidays, the parking lot will be cleared of snow at the discretion of the Town’s Highway Department. Renters should discuss alternate arrangements when inclement weather is forecast, rather than risk the library being closed on the days prior to the event.
- Any group or individual that fails to comply with library policies may be denied access to the community room. The library is not responsible for the loss of any equipment, supplies, materials, clothing, or other items nor does the library assume any liability for groups or individuals using the library.
- Use of the room for illegal purposes or any purpose other than that stated at time of application is prohibited.
- The group representative or individual who signs the community room use agreement shall be responsible for any and all loss or damage to the facility. Criminal prosecution may be pursued when necessary.
- Following the event, renters are expected to: (1) fold up tables and chairs and return them neatly to their storage locations (table against the wall, all chairs neatly organized on the racks and covered); (2) clean kitchen (remove leftover food, wash, dry, and put away dishes/coffee pots, wipe out sink and wipe down countertops); (3) sweep floor of debris (confetti, glitter, food crumbs) and mop up any spills; (4) empty trash cans if more than half-full and place bags inside door for later disposal; (5) return thermostat to 60 degrees; (6) turn out lights.
Liabilities Losses or Damages
The Renter undertakes to indemnify and hold harmless the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and the Town of Lisbon from any liabilities or damages the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and the Town of Lisbon may suffer as a result of claims, demands, costs or judgments against the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and the Town of Lisbon arising out of the use of Library/Town facilities by the Renter.
I further understand that I will be held financially responsible for any damages made to facilities, appliances, furniture, and any equipment, including the cost of repair for any damage to Library furnishings caused by the use of pens, paints, crayons, dyes, markers, tape/adhesive, or other materials.
I further understand that I will be held responsible for the behavior of all those in attendance at the function proposed above. I understand that the Library Director or Board of Trustees may cancel our use of the facility if I or my group fails to comply with the user agreement and the Community Room Use Policy.
This Indemnity Agreement shall extend from the date of this Agreement to and including the end of event and/or inspection of facility following use.
Expense, Attorney Fees and Costs
If the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and/or the Town of Lisbon, in the enforcement of any part of this Indemnity Agreement, shall incur necessary expenses, or become obligated to pay attorney fees or Court costs, the Renter agrees to reimburse the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and/or the Town of Lisbon for such expenses, attorney fees and costs within ten (10) days after receiving notice from the Hepburn Library of Lisbon and/or Town of Lisbon of the incurrence of such expenses, costs, or obligations.